Starling Roost, Penzance, Cornwall



Just returned from a short break in Cornwall. Stayed in this gorgeous old townhouse with great views over the harbour. The best view of all was the starling roost and display that happened every evening around 6 o'clock. I couldn't believe it the first evening I saw it. 

It made me laugh a bit too. We have traveled twice to see starling roosts only to be disappointed when they didn't show up at all and once they roosted but didn't display.  I remember sitting in the freezing cold and rain on Aberystwyth Pier (they didn't show up at all) and also last winter in that freezing weather we had waiting at RSPB Conwy (they didn't display just flew straight into the reed beds).

It is very difficult to film and I'm not very good at video at the best of times but I hope this gives an idea of how fabulous it was. The video is about 5 minutes long, its funny at the end they flew under the back of The Buccaneer souvenir shop (to roost for the night), then a some of them changed their minds and had a few last flurries.

Below is a picture of some starlings in Lands End, Cornwall in a litter bin :-)

Starlings In a Bin

Labels: ,